|End-of-day quote - 01/19|
Vedanta : Jharsuguda wins APEX India Platinum Award for Sustainability
|11/19/2020 | 07:31am|
Vedanta Jharsuguda wins APEX India Green Leaf 'Platinum' Award
Jharsuguda, Odisha; 19 November, 2020: Vedanta Jharsuguda, India's largest producer of aluminium and value-added products, has been declared winner of APEX India Green Leaf 'Platinum' Award for outstanding achievement in sustainability in the Metals & Mining category. Platinum is the highest category among sustainability awards, and the company was adjudged winner after a thorough assessment of best practices and performance excellence in sustainability. Over 180 organizations across various industries had participated in the assessment.
Vedanta's sustainability practices are focused on the three primary pillars of economic, environmental and social impact. Towards this end, Vedanta has instituted the Vedanta Sustainability Assurance Programme (VSAP), a robust governance system following International Finance Corporation (IFC) and International Council on Mining and Metals (ICMM) guidelines that guides the company's operations and measures performance across 34 elements under the broader dimensions of Sustainability, such as Leadership, Process Safety & Management of Change, Continuous Improvement, Social Sustainability, Resource Use Management, Health, Safety, Environment (HSE) Management etc.
Speaking about the company's efforts in sustainability, Mr. CN Singh, CEO - Vedanta Ltd., Jharsuguda, said, "Vedanta's operations are governed by the robust Vedanta Sustainability Framework, drawn in line with the best international standards. Our business imperatives and social responsibilities are founded on the premise of 'Zero Harm, Zero Waste
- Zero Discharge', and fulfilled through an unwavering commitment to leverage global expertise, adopt green technology and use resources judiciously, to create a lasting positive impact on the environment, our communities, partners and customers. The APEX India Green Leaf Platinum Award stands testimony to our endeavours against those commitments."
Mr. TJ Kim, Plant In-charge from KEPCO KPS, Vedanta's partner for operation & maintenance of its 1215 MW Captive Power Plant adds, "Vedanta Jharsuguda's sustainability practices are very well developed, meeting international requirements. Vedanta has a very focused approach on safety, health and environment aspects of business performance."
As the country's largest producer of aluminium, which an eternally recyclable metal with minimal loss in quality and energy requirements, Vedanta integrates smart innovation, best- in-class technology, environmental safeguards and sustainability-focused operating procedures to create value for the nation. Few examples:
- Vedanta's aluminium smelters, power plants and alumina refinery are among India's leading energy efficient manufacturing units.
Vedanta Jharsuguda is India's first, and the world's third, smelter to deploy Digital
Smelter Solution, which allows for remote monitoring and control of potline operations,
enhances energy efficiency, reduces raw material consumption and arrests wastage of material.
- Online and continuous environment monitoring and real-time data acquisition system for superior monitoring and faster decision making.
- Vedanta Jharsuguda is one the best water efficient smelters in the country, ensuring 100% recycling of treated water for zero-discharge operations.
- State-of-the-artpollution control equipment, robust processes, globally benchmarked best-practices, etc. are in place for proper air, water, land and waste management.
- The company is exploring renewable energy sources like solar power and biomass to potentially reduce dependence on thermal power as the primary source of energy.
- Extensive digitalization of processes towards achieving paperless operations.
- Vedanta is also in the process of deploying advanced data analytics technologies in its power plants by incorporating both predictive and prescriptive analytics to enhance energy efficiency and improve sustainability of operations and reduce wastage and safety risks with minimal or zero human touch.
- Vedanta's social interventions in the domains of sustainable livelihood, women empowerment, quality education, health, water and sanitation, bio-investment and community infrastructure benefit lakhs of people every year.
Vedanta is India's largest producer of the green metal, aluminium, operating a world-class 1.6 MTPA aluminium smelter and 3615 MW thermal power generation facility in Jharsuguda, Odisha. The only Indian smelter in the global '1 Million Tonne' production and export club, Vedanta Jharsuguda is a leader in value-added aluminium products that find critical applications across core industries. With one of the largest technically qualified and diverse workforces in the country, the company is working towards a sustainable and greener future for all by spurring emerging applications of aluminium, the 'Metal of the Future'.
About Vedanta Aluminium and Power
Vedanta Aluminium, a part of Vedanta Limited, is India's largest producer of aluminium, producing almost half of India's aluminium or 1.9 million tonnes per annum (MTPA) in FY20, and is also one of the largest private power producers in the country. It is a leader in value-added aluminium products that find critical applications in core industries. With its world-class smelters, power plants and alumina refinery spread across India, the company fulfills its mission of spurring emerging applications of aluminium as the 'Metal of the Future' for a greener tomorrow.
About Vedanta Limited
Vedanta Limited, a subsidiary of Vedanta Resources Limited, is one of the world's leading Oil & Gas and Metals company with significant operations in Oil & Gas, Zinc, Lead, Silver, Copper, Iron Ore, Steel, and Aluminium & Power across India, South Africa, Namibia, and Australia. For two decades, Vedanta has been contributing significantly to nation building. Governance and sustainable development are at the core of Vedanta's strategy, with a strong focus on health, safety, and environment. Giving back is in the DNA of Vedanta, which is focused on enhancing the lives of local communities. Under the aegis of Vedanta Cares, the flagship social impact program, Nand Ghars have been set up as model anganwadis focused on eradicating child malnutrition, providing education, healthcare, and empowering women with skill development. The company has been featured in Dow Jones Sustainability Index, and was conferred CII-ITC Sustainability Award, the FICCI CSR Award, Dun & Bradstreet Awards in Metals & Mining, and certified as a Great Place to Work. Vedanta Limited is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange and the National Stock Exchange in India and has ADRs listed on the New York Stock Exchange.
For more information please log on to https://www.vedantalimited.com
For further information, please contact:
Mr. Subha Narayan Sahoo,
Dept. of PR & Corporate Communications
Vedanta Limited, Jharsuguda
Contact: +91- 82803 33330
Mail to: Subha.Sahoo@vedanta.co.in
This press release contains "forward-looking statements" - that is, statements related to future, not past, events. In this context, forward-looking statements often address our expected future business and financial performance, and often contain words such as "expects," "anticipates," "intends," "plans," "believes," "seeks," "should" or "will." Forward-looking statements by their nature address matters that are, to different degrees, uncertain. For us, uncertainties arise from the behaviour of financial and metals markets including the London Metal Exchange, fluctuations in interest and or exchange rates and metal prices; from future integration of acquired businesses; and from numerous other matters of national, regional and global scale, including those of a political, economic, business, competitive or regulatory nature. These uncertainties may cause our actual future results to be materially different than those expressed in our forward-looking statements. We do not undertake to update our forward- looking statements.
This is an excerpt of the original content. To continue reading it, access the original document here.
Vedanta Limited published this content on 18 November 2020 and is solely responsible for the information contained therein. Distributed by Public, unedited and unaltered, on 19 November 2020 12:30:06 UTC