|Delayed - 06/17 04:10:00 pm|
Medtronic : Receives Health Canada Licence for the First-of-Its-Kind Percept™ PC Neurostimulator with Brainsense™ Technology
|10/29/2020 | 02:12pm|
Next-Generation Technology Makes Percept™ the First and Only DBS System with Ability to Capture Patient-Specific Brain Signals for More Personalized, Data-Driven Treatment
"Percept is the first commercially available implantable pulse generator with the ability to record and store the day-to-day brain activity of patients with implanted electrodes for deep brain stimulation," said Dr.
DBS is an individualized therapy delivered from a small pacemaker-like device, placed under the skin of the chest or abdomen, to send electrical signals through very thin wires (leads) to a targeted area in the brain related to the symptoms of a neurological disorder, such as Parkinson's disease.
In addition to BrainSense technology, the Percept PC DBS system features several leading-edge innovations, including:
- The only DBS system eligible for 3T and 1.5T full-body MRI scans, providing patients access to cutting-edge medical imaging.
- Smart battery for personalized prediction of remaining battery life providing elevated peace of mind while planning for device replacement.
- Improved battery longevity compared to Medtronic's Activa™ PC neurostimulator (when using similar settings and functionality) in a smaller (reduced volume), ergonomic design for patient comfort.
- Low pulse width (duration of the pulse), providing expanded stimulation options.
- Enhanced Patient Programmer leveraging a user-friendly, custom-configured Samsung mobile device that helps patients manage their therapy more easily.
- Designed to facilitate expanded capabilities in the future via software upgrades – to prepare for what's next in DBS.
"There is nothing currently available that can replace clinical judgement in treating patients. For the first time, this technology gives clinicians feedback directly from the DBS patient's brain," said
For further information on the Percept PC Neurostimulator with BrainSense Technology, please visit: Medtronic.ca/Percept
About Medtronic DBS Therapy
DBS therapy is currently licensed in many locations around the world, including
DBS therapy uses a surgically implanted medical device, similar to a cardiac pacemaker, to deliver electrical stimulation to precisely targeted areas of the brain as adjunctive treatment for several neurological disorders. Medtronic was the first in
About Medtronic Canada
Proudly serving Canadian healthcare for over 50 years, Medtronic Canada ULC (www.medtronic.ca), is a subsidiary of
Any forward-looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties such as those described in Medtronic's periodic reports on file with the
SOURCE Medtronic Canada ULC
© Canada Newswire, source