2021 'HOSCARs': THE WORLD'S MOST EXTRAORDINARY HOSTELS REVEALED
- Hostelworld has announced the winners of its 19th annual HOSCAR awards
- The awards credit the best hostels in the world across over seven categories, based on more than 20,000 votes
- Cohort Hostel in the UK was crowned the most EXTRAORDINARY Sustainable Hostel in the world
- Modal in South Carolina was crowned the most EXTRAORDINARY Inclusive Hostel in the world
- Hostels in The Netherlands, Armenia and Mexico were among those awarded a HOSCAR
For 19 years, the HOSCARs (Hostelworld Customer Annual Ratings) have acknowledged hostels from all four corners of the globe with the highest customer reviews and ratings. This year, with the world in lockdown and travel put on hold, the awards have been restructured to recognise the incredible work hostels have been doing in their communities, and to support the industry, during the global pandemic.
Over 300 hostels submitted award entries which were reviewed by a panel of industry experts to shortlist five hostels per category. The public voted to determine which of the 35 shortlisted hostels listed on Hostelworld would scoop a highly respected HOSCAR, with more than 20,000 votes from hostel travellers around the world.
The categories highlight the incredible work hostels have accomplished over the past 12 months, including: the most EXTRAORDINARY sustainable hostel, most EXTRAORDINARY inclusive hostel and most EXTRAORDINARY innovation.
Fabrizio Giulio, Chief Supply Officer at Hostelworld, said: "This year's HOSCARs not only commemorate a difficult year for the hostel industry, but allow us to celebrate the incredible efforts our hostel partners have taken during this time. Hostels around the world have used this time to focus on becoming more sustainable, supporting their local communities or renovating their hostels to be as safe as possible for when travel resumes - we wanted to recognise all their achievements.
The HOSCARs are equally valuable to our community, as they provide a trusted way for our customers to identify the experience they want from their travels, and where to find it. It was important that our customers were still a crucial part of the awards and involved in selecting the hostels that deserve to be recognised for their excellence and extraordinary efforts."
You can find full list of winners here: www.hostelworld.com/hoscars
Hostelworld's 2021 EXTRAORDINARY HOSCARs winners:
EXTRAORDINARY Community & Social Impact - Envoy Hostel, Yerevan, Armenia
- Rating: 9.1
- Dorms from: £4.93/€5.71/US$6.88 per night
- Private rooms from: £10.56/€12.24/ US$14.74 per night
- About: This compassionate and fast-acting hostel opened its doors to those no longer safe in their homes upon the outbreak of war in 2020. Housing around 40 refugees, mainly women and children, the team hosted fundraising events and reached out to their global connections, to ensure they could feed and clothe their guests.
EXTRAORDINARY Sustainable Hostel - Cohort Hostel, Cornwall, UK
- Rating: 8.9
- Private rooms from: £57.04/€66.14/ US$79.68 per night
- About: Cohort hostel stands in the centre of St. Ives, a seaside town in Cornwall. Its proximity to the ocean not only means it's a great surf spot, but also provides a solid reminder of the impact
we all have on our fragile ecosystem. This hostel runs entirely on renewable electricity. Pioneering in so many ways this hostel is plastic-free and is working towards the whole of St. Ives becoming 'Plastic Free Accredited'.
EXTRAORDINARY Inclusive Hostel - Modal, Greenville, USA
- Rating: 10
- Dorms from: £24.70/€28.64/US$34.50 per night
- Private rooms from: £61.75/€71.59/US$86.24 per night
- About: At first glance it's hard to tell if Modal is an art gallery or hostel, but its bold design isn't the only trope Modal is challenging. This hostel serves as a pocket of rainbow-infused hope for travellers and locals by celebrating diversity by hosting events like social-distanced drag nights and pop-up markets to support local artists. You'll find many of the hostel staff are LGBTQIA+ and the vibe warm, friendly, and inclusive to all.
EXTRAORDINARY New Hostel - The Green Elephant, Maastricht, The Netherlands
- Rating: 9.4
- Dorms from: £20.70/€24.00/US$28.91 per night
- Private rooms from: £26.39/€30.60/US$36.87 per night
- About: This hostel is like an antidote to 2020, the perfect place to get a big boost of well-being, with its yoga and meditation room, micro-gyms,ice-bath and wall to name a few. This hostel isn't short of vibes, with a festival aesthetic it's a true travellers' oasis.
EXTRAORDINARY Innovation - BUNK Utrecht, Utrecht, The Netherlands
- Rating: 9.4
- Dorms from: £26.74/€31.00/US$37.35 per night
- Private rooms from: £62.97/€73.00/US$87.95 per night
- About: Once a church, this building continues to be the beating heart of the community in its new life as a backpacker's hostel. Featuring an Artist-in-residence programme, Co-working space and Exhibition area. Their Amsterdam sister hostel (also in a church) has a non-profit recording studio where international artists make music and podcasts.
EXTRAORDINARY Hostel Hero - Welcommon Hostel, Athens, Greece
- Rating: 9.1
- Dorms from: £17.25/€20.00/US$24.09 per night
- Private rooms from: £43.13/€50.00/US$60.24 per night
- About: Travellers get involved in their humanitarian, social and environmental projects, alongside locals and refugees too. The hostel team have helped guests find employment, training, and education. It's a centre for innovation, art, and sustainable living. This hostel really is making our world a better place.
EXTRAORDINARY Sociable Experience - Mayan Monkey Hostels, Cancun, Mexico
- Rating: 9.1
- Dorms from: £11.23/€13.02/US$15.68 per night
- Private rooms from: £76.19/€88.33/US$106.40 per night
About: This hostel is famous for its BBQ pool parties, Insta-friendly sunsets and to stay in
Cancún's party district. When the pandemic reached Mexico, and travellers' priorities switched
This is an excerpt of the original content. To continue reading it, access the original document here.
Hostelworld Group plc published this content on 26 April 2021 and is solely responsible for the information contained therein. Distributed by Public, unedited and unaltered, on 26 April 2021 11:28:06 UTC.